Media, Broadcasting and Telecommunication
The Firm has a distinguished practice in all areas of Technology, Media, Broadcasting and Telecommunication regulations in India and is highly regarded for the in-depth knowledge and experience it brings to the table. Our practice group has much needed critical access to key players in the industry, providing clients with solution-oriented, business-friendly and dedicated legal advice.
The Media and Broadcasting industry operates on a unique combination of strategic know-how, technological and economic finesse, and artistic talent. These sectors are governed by Ministry of Information and Broadcast through various wings vis-a-vis Press Council of India, Press Information Bureau, Electronic Media Monitoring Centre, Office of Registrar of Newspapers of India, Broadcast Engineering Consultants (India) Limited etc. Currently, the Media and Broadcasting industry distributes its content through variety of platforms, which include television, radio, social media, online streaming, motion pictures, talent and celebrity managements, brand endorsements, music, internet and digital media amongst others. Several international giants in these sectors have already entered the Indian market and numerous other players continue to show interest in the same since the Government of India has liberalised these sectors by increasing FDI allowances including granting permission for 100% FDI in certain sectors such as Telecommunication, Cable Networks, Direct to Home (DTH), etc.
Services provided by the Firm includes:
- Advising clients on compliances related to regulatory issues including assistance on obtaining necessary approvals from relevant authorities.
- Providing assistance in Mergers & Acquisitions as well as private equity investments in the broadcasting industry including entertainment as well as news channels.
- Drafting various agreements in the field such as film rights agreement, artist agreements, digital marketing agreement, trademark & copyright agreements etc.
- Assisting foreign clients in increasing their Indian presence including assisting in foreign investment holding issues.
- Advising & assisting Indian clients in their global expansion in different jurisdictions. and
- Assisting in IP related matters such as Trademark & Copyright filing, IP due diligence, Cease/desist Legal Notices, Litigation for Infringement etc. and commercial needs related to with supply agreements, distribution contracts, acquisition agreements, licensing agreements, advertisement etc.
Telecom and Technology
Our practice group keeps a close watch on continuous developments in these sectors at national as well as international level including Government of India, TRAI, etc. We also provide assistance to our clients from telecom sector on various aspects in the industry such as access, interconnection, licensing, spectrum, tariffs and unfair commercial practices. Besides this we further assist them on complying with various policy as well as adversarial telecom regulations in the country.
In telecom space we have advised operators, infrastructure providers and others players such as Prasar Bharti Broadcasting Corporation of India, Times of India and Super Cassettes Industries Ltd., in structuring of domestic and international strategic alliances, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and handling negotiations. We have assisted various Telecom operators and other key players in the sector on wide range of matters ranging from Mergers & Acquisitions to advising them on issues pertaining to net neutrality, Internet of Things/Machine-to-Machine, mobile portability etc.
We represent Telecom operators in regulatory proceedings, consultations with diverse regulatory authorities on various matters such as tariff determination, licensing. We further represent them in international & domestic arbitration proceedings as well as litigation proceedings before the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Department of Telecommunications (DoT), Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT), various High Courts and the Supreme Court of India.
Services provided by the Firm includes:
- Providing advice and assistance on Data protection and privacy for large companies with cross border operations, including companies involved in financial service sectors, online service providers, IT enabled companies, etc.
- Assisting in obtaining the approvals and permit that may be needed to undertake a new line of business or new product launches in India and start-ups.
- Providing advice and assistance on compliance related to telecom regulatory issues including assistance on obtaining necessary approvals from relevant authorities in India.
- Providing advice and assistance on IP, Competition and Consumer related matters.
- Providing assistance on IP filings and infringement related issues.
- Providing assistance on Data Protection and Privacy related issues including Advice on storage and sharing of personal information in compliance with relevant regulations.
- Providing advice and assistance on Foreign Investment.
- Providing assistance in Litigation and Alternate Dispute Resolution proceedings in various Tribunals and Courts in India.
- Providing assistance in various agreements such as transmission agreements, interconnect agreements, master service agreements, Sale and lease back agreements etc. and
- Providing advice and assistance on issues related to use and import of telecommunication equipment, acquisition and sharing of telecom tower site, etc.